Confident is a song by American singer Demi Lovato. It serves as the second single from her fifth studio album of the same name. The song was released on September 18, 2015, by Hollywood and Island Records as an instant download with the pre-order of the album on iTunes, as well as a stand-alone download on serval digital retail sites such as Google Play and 7digital. It was written by Lovato, Max Martin, Ilya Salmanzadeh and Savan Kotecha.
Background and release
Lovato released a video on her official YouTube account on October 4, 2015 explaining the meaning behind "Confident". Prior to official release, "Confident" leaked online on August 24, 2015. The song was officially released on September 18, 2015.
"Confident" received mostly positive reviews from music critics. Popcrush had a mixed review, stating that “'Confident'” is sassy, but ultimately safe. It struts in, promising, 'I used to hold my freak back, now I’m letting go,' but over the course of the ensuing two minutes and forty seconds, we’re treated to backing music tailor-made for a brassy Victoria’s Secret ad, or the intro to an ABC drama where the camera slowly pans up to reveal a lady spy’s sexy transformation." Digitalspy reviewed the song positively, saying that "The track is a strutting, brass-laden pop anthem, which hears her take full control." Musictimes also reviewed the song positively, saying "'Confident'" shows a sassy, sexy side of Lovato. With rounds of thunderous drums and honks of brass horns, 'Confident' is all new Demi, with no signs of heartbreak or struggle in sight. 
The song peaked at #21, #65 and #35 on the US Billboard Hot 100, the UK Singles Chart and the Australian Singles Chart. It also peaked at #1 on the US Dance Club Songs and #9 on the US Mainstream Top 40.
The music video was shot on September 22, 2015. The video was directed by Robert Rodriguez, and features appearances from Michelle Rodriguez, John Fahey, Zane Holtz and Marko Zaror. The music video was released on October 9, 2015. "Confident" opens with Lovato in a maximum security prison, where she's granted a pardon for selling out Rodriguez's character by a U.S. marshal. Lovato is sent to set up Rodriguez, but the singer soon realizes that Rodriguez is a step ahead of her. As the police attempt to take Lovato back to prison, she breaks free and jumps into Rodriguez's trailing car. A fistfight ensues before the pair realize they were both played (and branded) by the marshal. The two women get revenge.
The five remixes for the song were released on iTunes on November 6, 2015. The music videos for the remixes were released on December 14, 2015 on Lovato's VEVO channel.
Usage in Media
- The song was used in PayPal's New Money advertising campaign in 2016 and was aired during the Super Bowl XV.
- The song was used in the TV series Telenovela and Supergirl as well as the television advertisement for Lucifer and trailers for Central Intelligence and Spider-Man: Homecoming.
- "Confident" was used in the video package for the triple threat match for the WWE Women's Championship at Wrestlemania 32.
- The song is featured in the film Bad Moms.
- The song was used in ABC News's coverage of the 2016 Republican and Democratic National Conventions.
Credits adapted from the liner notes of Confident.
- Demi Lovato – lead vocals, songwriter
- Savan Kotecha – songwriter, background vocals
- Max Martin – songwriter, drums, producer, keys, programming, percussion
- Ilya Salmanzadeh – songwriter, producer, guitar, bass, keys, programming, percussion, background vocals
- Jonas Thander – horn arrangement, saxophone
- Steffan Findin – trombone
- Stefan Persson – trumpets
- Karl Olandersson – trumpets
- Peter Carlsson – live drums
- Rickard Göransson – percussion
- Oscar Holter – background vocals
- Sam Holland – engineering
- Serban Ghenea – mixing
- Tom Coyne – mastering